Odhikar, as a part of its commitment to uphold human rights, rule of law and democracy, has been monitoring and publishing reports of the human rights situation under the State of Emergency, each month of the military backed government which was installed on 11 January 2007.
This report covers the following topics:
- The crisis of legitimacy hamstrings the Government
- Human Rights Commission won’t safeguard human rights
- Right to Information Ordinance-but not to curb press freedom
- Freedom of expression and privacy in jeopardy
- Truth Commission should be disbanded
- Workers get raw deals
- Extrajudicial killings continue
The report closes with 7 recommendations to the government of Bangladesh.
State of Emergency Report 20 months-2008 (full text in English, PDF)